The Top Reasons for House Fires | SERVPRO® of Anaheim Central/Garden Grove East
House fires rank high on the list of disasters that homeowners want to avoid. While thunderstorms, tornadoes, hail and flooding are all risks that homeowners must face, fire is one of the most unpredictable and ranks high on the danger list.
Fires appear to start out of nowhere, and with today’s new fabrics and building materials, we only have two to three minutes to safely exit the home. Homeowners will go to great lengths to avoid a fire.
However, despite decades of awareness campaigns, more than a quarter of all reported fires still occur in homes.
Let’s review the top causes of fires in the home and see if we can reduce that number through education and information:
Cooking. This is the leading cause of home fires. Almost half of all home fires start in the kitchen, and the primary reason is unattended cooking. Want to avoid a home fire? Never leave your cooking unattended.
Heating equipment. Though not nearly as prevalent here in Anaheim, 14% of all home fires nationally are started because of heating equipment. Causes include equipment malfunctions, mishaps and flammable materials placed too close to heaters, with portable space heaters being the biggest offender.
Electrical fires. As homes age, they become more susceptible to electrical issues. Houses 50 years old or older should have an electrical inspection to ensure wiring is capable of handling current electrical requirements. The overloading of circuits and a generally higher usage of electricity than older homes can handle are all factors that contribute to electrical fires at home.
Intentional fires. A full 28,000 home fires are set by arsonists each year. When we say arson, we mean fires begun deliberately with the intention of destroying the structure.
Smoking materials. Even though smoking has declined by 65% over the last 50 years and is only responsible for 5% of home fires, tragically it is the leading cause of civilian fire deaths. These often start because cigarettes or ashes are left burning as people fall asleep, which makes victims more susceptible to smoke inhalation.
Regardless of the cause, SERVPRO is here for you if your home is affected by fire. Contact your local team today to see how we can help.